Friday, June 10, 2011

patchwork punches...

I guess you could say I'm sort of a country girl at heart, drawn to patchwork quilts and things from time gone by! I love the homespun patchwork look and even loves how it looks in scrapbooking!  I grabbed several of my favorite punches and decided to try making my punches look like patchwork as well. It's super simple!
I started out with a 1" scalloped circle punch by Martha Stewart and punched several of the same punches out of all different Soiree Mini Notes and Labels. I cut them up and placed them back together again. Then I added them to a card! You could also use larger ones to decorate your layouts.

I made a card with these patchwork circles...


...and one with patchwork stars.
Notice I used up one of the Mini Notes here that I punched the circle out of! Can't let it go to waste. It's popped up with pop dots and a Soiree sentiment is stamped inside. I used a Sweetness rub on under the Mini Note. Pin is from the Soiree Flags.
I decided I wanted to try this with a larger die cut using my Cricut machine.  The smaller pieces were a little difficult to work with. I cut several of this shape using the Provo Craft cartridge called "Accents Essentials Shapes Cartridge". They were cut at 2 1/2 " each using several Soiree papers and Daily Junque papers.
I placed a whole one and 2 halves on a piece of Parisian Anthology paper, then cut the others up into fours.

Next, I rearranged the pieces over the top and moved them around until it was pleasing to the eye with various colors and patterns. I tried to balance out the pinks, yellows and blues.

I adhered them down evenly, then machine stitched along the edges to make it look like a quilt.
I added a printed saying from my computer, "Hem your blessings with thankfulness" and a rub on heart from the Sweetness line.
Give this technique a try. You'll love putting your punches and die cut machine to good use again! Stop over to the Pink Paislee blog to see the full tutorial.


15 comments:

Amanda Johnson said...

These are gorgeous!! I love the patchwork idea! I think I will be giving this a try on a scrapbook layout SOON!!!

Mandy said...

what gorgeous cards!!! I just adore how you piece everything together :) happy birthday too....again!!!

xx

Rachel said...

danielle-these are fantastic!!!! love the ideas of punching the card and having a stamped sentiment underneath, and that last card is just gorgeous!!! thanks for the serious eye candy today!!! :)

Maria Asmus said...

I´m definitely gonna try that!! Look beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa Elton said...

Another beautiful post...such refreshing colors!!!

Marlou McAlees said...

These are fab!!!! Thanks for inspiration :)

claudia shadler said...

This are awesome cards Danielle! thanks for showing the technique, will try it!

hugs,
C :)

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Love the look of your cards shown here today. A modern 'country' feel to them. Great idea & look in using the negative space on the second card. TFS!

Pat said...

Very, very cute! I especially love the last card! Thanks for inspiring us all!

Gina Lideros said...

I love your patchwork punches. I have that punch, but never considered doing that. I will have to give it a try now. Great projects!

Lynn said...

love your patchwork projects! that little medallion punch is one of my faves.

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful cards Danielle! Thanks for the inspiration!

Zarah said...

*swoons*
I could not envision that relust. I am... stunned! It's fantastic!

Okay, lady - chop chop. Into my blogroll you go! :D

Jocelyn Olson said...

Danielle, these cards are truly amazing! I love the quilt-like piecing....so beautiful! Your creativity always amazes me!

N@ Ali said...

lovely!