Friday, December 9, 2011

i wonder if she wonders...

I've been scrapping up a storm the past few days trying to play catch up! The Little Black Dress kit club asked me to create some things with their December kit. It's a really pretty mix of teal blues, yellows and purples with a hint of black and oh. my. I am loving it!

I'm usually not a big user of purple, but I really like how this first page turned out. There is a really great mix of patterns in the kit!! Chevron. Check! Vintage book paper. Check!. Pockets and gems and beautiful ribbons. Check! I love that I tried a color that I don't usually use. Made me step out of my comfort zone just slightly!

THIS chevron-looking paper is my favorite in the kit, the one I grabbed first!
I was actually inspired for the page by the clear acetate title by Glitz here that says, "I wonder if you wonder." I wanted to use it for my focal point. This page came straight from the heart. My daughter's ADHD has been really tough on us as a family.

She has had it all her life, and struggled, she has to work harder than her peers. She doesn't talk about it much...and I really don't know how it's affecting her personally, or if she thinks about it at all. She has troubles articulating what she feels. She's a very resilient kid and doesn't let much get to her, which is good. I just wonder what she thinks, what the future will hold for her, or if she will overcome some of it when she matures a bit more. Right now, she is on medicine and doing great in school, getting all A's and B's. I don't want it to define her, but it is really a big part of her life right now.

A note about the design here: I wrapped the yellow and white ribbon around the pocket, so the pocket is hanging by the ribbon on the layout. The flower on top of the ribbon is a clear sticker in the kit. The dark yellow houndstooth is another one of my favorite patterns here! The white ribbon is gorgeous too, it's stitched with a white on white rose/leaf pattern. The title transparency is added right over the white ribbon. I cut the leafy shapes with the vintage book paper in the kit using a Papertrey Ink die called Turning a New Leaf.  I took this photo of Taylor and a friend when she was at a cheerleading game recently. I always wonder how her ADHD is affecting her friendships...
-----------------

The next project made with the kit was a card from one of the transparencies in the kit. I just folded it in half to create an anniversary card.



I wanted a place to write on the inside of the card, so I cut out a doily shape with my Cuttlebug from white cardstock with Papertrey Ink Doily Details die. I love how it shows through the front of the card and highlights the flower!

To create the little tag on the front that says "US", I simply punched a scalloped border punch out of white cardstock, then trimmed the piece down into little tags. Each scallop makes its own little tag. (See how-to photos.) It's a quick way to make your own mini tags!
----------------

My third project is another layout. The photos are of Kati and me at Thanksgiving this year!
Adding punched shapes and strips of paper are a great way to add color and pattern to a layout. Here I punched out a heart from the yellow paper and kept the negative of it, then added more hearts to create flow down the page. I also added stitching down the side of the page for an extra detail and some white paint splatters to brighten up the dark background. I am a big fan of keeping my layouts even and formal looking because I love unity, however placing some of the items off-center makes the layout more fun and not so predictable.

--------------------

Next up, a card. I cut the background with a Papertrey Ink die called Mat Stack 1, then added a chipboard frame from the kit. I rolled the kit ribbons into flowers.
Added a chipboard banner piece under the frame.(The paper is already glittered like that!)
------------------

This last one is actually my favorite - and it was the quickest page! I cut stars from some of the fun patterns and added a pic of Kati and our dog Maggie. I used one of the transparencies behind the photo to frame it. "Happy" is cut with a Papertrey Ink die called Wonderful Words.
I added some white cardstock on the edges cut with pinking shears, just to frame the whole layout without overpowering the page and taking attention away from the photo. Isn't that little silhouette button so CUTE?

Thank you for swinging by today. Please check out the Little Black Dress kit club!

26 comments:

Maria Therese said...

Gorgeous projects!! Especially love the layouts ♥

Zarah said...

These are all OH so fantastic! Seriously - they're among the prettiest ones I've evr seen and I thiiiink that the very first one might just be the BEST layout ever. Yup. I think that's the case. LOOOVE it!!

Anonymous said...

I've bookmarked almost every project here. Just love what you've done, and your design details are fabulous! My favorite is also the layout with the stars---gorgeous!

8thgypsy said...

I want to let you know that you are one great scrapbook page designer - not to say I don't love your cards, I just don't do cards. I save every one of your layouts using them for inspiration or just plain copying them. When I grow up I want to be you - lol!!!

Wendy Hammer (Reed) said...

Really beautiful! You can't tell you never use purple! :) Love the layout with the cutout hearts falling up and down the page. Clever idea! Love the inspiration for your daughters page. Seriously beautiful!

Sarah Jacqueline said...

Everything is absolutely gorgeous! The layouts are so beautiful and touching (I especially love the first one!), and like always, I adore your cards! Thank you for the inspiration!

Diana Waite said...

LOVELY--all of it!

Elizabeth said...

I love every single project that you created Danielle!!! Even the one with purple is adorable!!!!! Hoping that your enjoying your moments of December!
e.

Trine Brandt-Lassen said...

The first layout is stunning and touching. Has never seen a design quiet like it. Has certainly inspired me!

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

oh gosh danielle! everything is just wonderful!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, Danielle, these are all so fabulous! I love what you did with this kit! Thanks for the inspiration-- now I want to go home and scrapbook!

Mel said...

Totally cool layouts...I have that punch, and I'm so doing that tag idea with it!

Meghan said...

You sound like a mom who has her priorities in the right order. Your daughter will probably grow up to me an amazing person just like her mom...after all she has a perfect role model. All your projects are amazing today!

Daniela Dobson said...

Wow, Dani, I can't even pick my favorite. They are all beautiful. Love the little touches on each one. Love the stars and the colors are awesome.

Holly Saveur said...

They are all so BEAUTIFUL..love it all!

Kathy Martin said...

Wow! You have been crafting up a storm! Lovely projects!

cards by cara said...

That layout is such a heartfelt message to your daughter. I am sure she appreciates all of your support and love. :)

Conniecrafter said...

Such pretty layouts and cards, I love your tip on how to make your little tags from the punch!!

Anonymous said...

On the Happy layout what is below the photo -- a strip of lace or white embossed paper? I love the tip for making tiny tags. All of your projects are gorgeous!

Danielle Flanders said...

That is a strip of white ribbon from the kit!
Danielle

Sallie424 said...

Just a note from a mom who has a son(29) with AD on High Def.(and dyslexia) College graduate in 4 1/2 yr. Accomplished in his job and about to be engaged to a wonderful young woman graduating law school. He is exciting, caring, and a WONDERFUL contributing member of society. It was not always easy. There are some fabulous publications that helped along the way. He still brings such joy to so many ...by just walking in a room. It is the alive...ness that comes with ADHD even though it IS a double edged sword. I wish you successful and exciting times.

Danielle Flanders said...

Sallie, Thank you so much for leaving a note and encouraging words. There are days I get VERY discouraged, so to hear good things about how your son made it through and is accomplished is very nice to hear. Thank you so much!
xo
Danielle

famillemarleau said...

Beautiful projects. Love the paper you used. You're very talented. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

Sophia said...

I love visiting your blog. You are so clever!! Love the mini tag tutorial--thanks for sharing.

Teresa Zuehls said...

Oh my the papers are so pretty and so are all of your projects! And thanks for the idea using the scallop border as mini tags. Genius!

Maryana Volkova said...

So nice and tender... Love, love it!