Thursday, February 26, 2009

The greatest love...

For me, having children is the best thing that has ever happened to me and the reason I started to scrapbook. When Taylor was born, I wanted to create a baby book for her and tell the stories of her birth and how she was growing and learning each month. Then somewhere along the way, I discovered a passion for creating while preserving our memories. I've always been into creating things, drawing, etc. and took several art classes in high school and college, and actually wanted to go to college for my art (but somehow ended up in teaching), but I love now that scrapbooking combines all of that for me...and I get to create keepsakes that hopefully will be meaningful to my girls down the road! Today I made a layout with some hidden journaling and wrote little love notes to my girls under the flaps/tags. I really want to let them know how much I love them and have it written down in words for them. (kinda sappy, I know)
I used some of the new Fresh Twist papers from Melissa Frances and several other items by MF: border stickers PP09, border stamp set ME10, Fontastic letter stamp set ME17, Mom transfers FW043, and the Summer Breeze floral stamp set ME12.

Other supplies: brads - Making Memories, pink flower - Maya Road, other flowers - silk from craft supply, black ink - StazOn, olive ink - Stampin' Up, dimensional paint and a metal stencil by Anna Griffin.

The little swirl on the top tag was created by using a metal stencil and some dimensional paint. My dimensional paint was white, so first I added some tan paint to it and mixed it up on a paper plate. Then I laid the stencil where I wanted it on my layout. Using an old credit card, I picked up some of the dimensional paint and scraped it across the stencil, then carefully lifted off the stencil and let it dry. After dry, you can chalk over it a little bit with brown chalk to get darker and lighter shades of brown.

Here is the stencil I used. Any kind of stencil would work for this.
I used this technique about a year ago on this card (on the chipboard) and then painted over it with red paint....
Here are some "how to" pictures:
Lay the stencil over the chipboard or paper....
Give it a try, it's really fun and a great way to put those old stencils you have in your stash back to use! I'll be back on Monday with some Pink Paislee creations. Have a wonderful weekend!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love how you used the stencil. Everything you create is pretty amazing, but that page just takes my breath away!
Terri

Julie Overby said...

What a fantastic technique!! I'm just now getting into using stencils so this was an awesome tutorial. Love the sweet layout. How neat that you wrote them something intimate and 'hidden!'

I also love your '3' layout in the post bellow. Wow, that photo!! TOO cute!!

Babydoll said...

Cute layout and I love the new techniques.

carolyn peeler said...

This layout is FABULOUS Danielle. Love it. You've packed a ton of MF goodies into it - yeay!

Anonymous said...

thank you for the technique..i love this layout..

Conibaer said...

Your LO is gorgeous as always and the "painted stecil-technique" is awesome! I need to try that!

Unknown said...

Wow, your work always amazes me. I wish I had more varied tools and supplies with which to experiment.

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, your page is gorgeous, Dani! I love the interactive aspect to it with the beautiful tags that lift. This is really stunning.
And that technique is so fun. Haven't done that for awhile. Think you are inspiring me! ;)
Oh, and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I made that die-cut scalloped paper myself by tracing a die-cut onto a different piece of paper.

Anonymous said...

That LO is so beautiful and how cleaver using stencils!! I have painted for years and have a good stencil collection. I will have to try this!!! Thanks for showing how it is done!! Have a wonderful weekend!!

Hilary Kanwischer said...

Oh what gorgeous techniques...I need to get out my paste and start playing too. I've missed your designs and they are oh-so beautiful!! You are so inspiring. :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful layout Danielle. I can't wait to get my hands on some of that MF paper:)

Anonymous said...

your page is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
and what a great technique! thanks for the visual - i learn best that way!!!

Tracey Taylor said...

Love this technique!! What gorgeous work. :)

I've got some blog candy posted if you'd like to take a peek.

Staci Taylor said...

Oooh, thx for sharing that technique, dani, it's gorgeous! Totally want to try that! And your layout is so beautiful as well! Not cheesy at all - how I wish I would have had layouts from my mom to look back on!!

Annette said...

Beautiful page and card! Thanks for sharing the awesome techniques, I'm going to have to try it out.

Anonymous said...

This is a great technique!! thanx! ps. the star looks amazing!

Unknown said...

I love the hidden journaling! I'm going to use that idea on pages for my nephews; they wouldn't want the world reading it if someone was flipping through an album!

Sherry Wright said...

Very cool.. love the stencil and beautiful page. Your girls are beautiful.. just like mom. ;)

Kandis Smith said...

so cool--totally doing this! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool technique! I will have to try it for sure!

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniele! Thanks for your nice works! I d love to ask what is it on this page in right up corner a branch, where did you take it?
Thanks!
Irina