Monday, December 2, 2013

Make It Monday...

I'm up at Papertrey Ink today (Nichole's blog) with a new video for our weekly Make It Monday tutorial! I decided to try something a little bit different and talk about a particular style that my friend Wida Miller has coined, "Modern Whimsy". She tells me this is what my style is called! So I've been thinking about this a lot and what defines the style I'm most drawn to. I made a video to share a few tips on achieving this look. I hope you enjoy the video! And thank you to Wida for helping me figure out what my style is. I didn't know it had a name! :) It really helped to hear her view of what my style is, and how others view it...

You can watch the video HERE. To me, the Modern Whimsy style is a little carefree, not perfectly straight, light and airy, yet colorful with a lot of detail. Layered with hints of items peeking out from the back. Vellum and light backgrounds are always great additions to this style!

I did make a Pinterest board with more examples of what I feel this style looks like if you want to take a peek at more samples: Modern Whimsy on Pinterest. I get a lot of inspiration from scrapbooking pages. You can do anything on a card that you can do on a layout. Please let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Have fun with this challenge! One winner will be chosen on Nichole's blog for a $25 gift certificate to use however you'd like at Papertrey Ink. Give it a try!


Peace card:
(All supplies by Papertrey Ink unless otherwise noted.)
STAMPS: Holiday Button Bits, Layered Postmarks: Holiday
INK: True Black, Versamark
PAPER: Pure Poppy Pattern Pack, Sweet Blush Pattern Pack, Aqua Mist cardstock, vellum
DIES: Damask Snowflake, Half & Half, Fancy Flakes, One Liners
OTHER: twine, stars by Studio Calico, white embossing powder, washi tape.

18 comments:

jan metcalf said...

Lovve the colors, the style, the mix match of patterns! Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous! I love your cards, they are such little works of art! :)

-daisy1

Audrey Pettit said...

Beautiful!

Lee-Anne said...

This is gorgeous. Love the softness of the vellum and the beautiful colors.

Jessica Noethlich said...

LOVE your style, Dani... Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! ♥

Natalie Winterstein said...

I love your style and that is the most perfect, fitting name! :)

claudia shadler said...

I agree with Wida - modern whimsy - totally you :) Luv the cards!

C

DIANA L. said...

I love how this came out. This is such an awesome project and your tutorial was great. I love the modern whimsy look I may try this a few more times.

Wida said...

and you are welcome friend! :) I adore this card!!

Accro-bat said...

Love it so much! It's gorgeous!

Holly Saveur said...

Gorgeous...love this style..and your Pinterest Inspiration board!

StephH said...

This is just gorgeous Danielle! You have such an eye for putting pieces together that work as a cohesive project. Just love your style! Indefinitely will give this MIM challenge a go!

Nancy said...

What a great video you produced. Great instruction and information and an adorable card. I loved your step by step process! Thank you

Leigh Penner said...

Love these, Danielle! I hope you know how much I love your style (& have for years!)

Lindsey said...

Beautiful! I love that you...or I guess Wida..has given a name to your style. It could be called anything, though, and I would love it. You have such a gift.

Martha said...

Danielle, this is simply BEAUTIFUL! I would actually call your style, the "Danielle Flanders" style.

Thanks, for the FABULOUS video, & the wonderful inspiration! I really enjoyed being stretched way beyond my comfort zone. I can't wait for your next Make It Monday video.

Karey said...

Congrats just saw you made the cover of a Northridge Pub mag!

Connie MacFarlane said...

So beautiful Danielle! Thank you so much for the wonderful video and for taking the time to gather together more inspiration on your Pinterest Board. Love your style, trying to loosen mine up a bit (I am one of those 'It has to be straight' kind of gals) so this was a good challenge for me.