Friday, September 16, 2011

decoupaged handmade ornaments...

I'm so excited to show you some handmade ornaments I created the other day for one of my Papertrey Ink projects. They are sort of shabby and vintagey in feel. These were made very simply with a few wooden items from the craft store, some chandelier crystals and tinsel by Melissa Frances, tissue paper and stamps/ink!

Here are the supplies I used for one ornament (in this order from top to bottom):


I have 1 small chandelier crystal from Melissa Frances, a small wooden ball (1/2"), a wooden acorn (1 1/8"), a toy wheel (1"), a large wooden ball (2"), another toy wheel (1"), a medium ball (1"), and a long skinny chandelier crystal by Melissa Frances. These are all hot glued together in this order, and then I painted the whole thing white with acrylic paint. (Don't paint the crystals!) You can find these wooden pieces in the wooden section of your craft store. 

The crystals actually have a hole in the top of them, perfect for tying a string on for hanging. These are the tops of the ornaments.

These are the bottoms. I just love these crystals.

After I hot glued all of the pieces together and painted it white, I had to figure out a way to add the sentiment. If I stamped directly on the curved surface, it wouldn't work out so well. So, I thought I'd stamp onto a piece of white tissue paper and glue it on the front. I used Papertrey Ink's Christmas Blessings stamp set for the sentiments and the Holiday Photo Finishers for the swirls. I stamped the swirls first in a lighter color, such as gray or brown, then the sentiment in black, then tore out the image from the tissue paper.


Next, I added some wet glue to the center of the ornament on the large ball. The stamped tissue paper is placed over the glue and pressed down, making sure to press all of the edges down. Then I added more wet glue over the top of the image as well to seal it to the ornament. I used Tombow Mono Liquid Glue, but Mod Podge would work as well.
It's ok if the image gets a little wrinkled in the gluing process. To me, that's all in the charm of this piece! Here is the stamping on the other ornament before I applied it.
After adding the sentiments, hot glue a strip of tinsel around the top of the large ball.
The stamping does seem to get a bit lighter when you add the glue over the top, so be sure to do a darker stamping than I did here for the swirls....unless you want them to be subtle.

The finished size of these are almost 8" long. I think they'd be adorable as a set for Christmas, hanging over a mirror, hanging from a mantle!

25 comments:

Stella said...

Oh my this is absolutely fabulous. Wow!

Jennifer Beason said...

These are just gorgeous, Dani!

Caterina said...

Simply ...wonderful! They're perfect for Christmas Time!

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

These are so beautiful! Love them!

Jeanne said...

You really have made stunning ornaments. Thank you for sharing the way that you designed them. These really have an understated elegance that is so fun to see from simple craft items...the crystals are so fun! Love how you added the sentiments. Lovely!!!!!!!!!!

brenda said...

These are beautiful!

papertrails leaver said...

oh how I love these! Thanks for sharing how to make these!

Sarah Martina said...

Pretty darn brilliant! And gorgeous! I can't wait to try something like this! :)

Holly Saveur said...

They are stunning such a great idea!Thanks for sharing!

Susie W. said...

These are beautiful Danielle! I would never have thought of creating something like this. Thanks so much for sharing!

Daniela Dobson said...

Dani these are too cute!!! Grate idea for gifts. I will look for those wood pieces next time I am at a craft store. So creative.

Kristii said...

Sooooo pretty!! I might have to give these a whirl!!! Thanks Dani!

Jessie said...

Oh so cute!! Another something to try for the holiday season!!

Kelly S. said...

Danielle, these are wonderful! I always wondered what to do with all those little wooden thingies you see at the store! So inspiring and beautiful!

LILIANA said...

Super cute! Love this project and thank you so much for sharing. These are so beautiful!

ScrappyLizzy said...

Wow Danielle, I absolutely love these, thanks for sharing!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Gorgeous and what a clever idea!

Anonymous said...

These are incredible, Danielle! Soooo, soooo cool!

Teri

Mary B. said...

These are AWEsome!!

vio said...

oh my word, they are GORGEOUS!! you are amazing!

Leigh Penner said...

These are so stunning, Dani! You are so talented and creative!

Elizabeth said...

These are gorgeous!!!!
e.

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

Visiting from the blog hop linky party at Eileen's and so glad I stopped in. Just Pinned this awesome tut to do with my girls as grandparent gifts this year!

Desirée said...

What a great idea!! They are lovely!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous ornaments Danielle! Thanks for the tutorial!