Sunday, September 11, 2011

Love Lives Here for the Holidays...

Melissa Phillips is back at it again and she created the MOST adorable stamp set for the holidays at Papertrey Ink! From stockings to mittens to trees and angels, this set has everything you need for a homespun Christmas. The pine bough image is perfect for creating backgrounds or hanging ornaments from!
Speaking of homespun, I was inspired to make a little gift set including a  homemade picture frame made of wooden spools/twine/clothespins,  a set of gift tags and some cards with this stamp set and dies. :) I have LOTS to show you today.


First, I'll tell you a bit about the wooden spool picture frame in case you'd like to replicate this as a gift!
I started with a popsicle stick for the base of the frame (5 3/4" x 3/4" in size). I also gathered 41 wooden spools that are 1" x 3/4". On half of the wooden spools, I wrapped Papertrey Ink twine around them and hot glued the ends on the back of the spools. The spools are then hot glued onto the popsicle stick in a pattern - twine spool, plain spool, twine spool, plain spool, etc. I was able to fit 8 spools across the popsicle stick. Keep hot gluing the spools to each other until you reach 4 stacks high. On the 5th stack, I staggered the height of the spools, so my clothespins would be at different heights. This way, different sizes of photos would work in the clips. Makes it look a little more unique too! Continue hot gluing spools until you get the height of the frame you'd like. (My frame is about 7" high x 6" wide finished.)

Finish by hot gluing clothes pins to the frame for hanging photos -- or little stitched banners like I've made here!
Of course, you can brush some white paint over the spools for a shabby look if you wish.

Now, I'll show you some gift tags I made...

I used Spring Moss ink with the stamped boughs, then added a few boughs of a darker green over the top, Ripe Avocado ink, to add more depth. A loop of Melissa Frances tinsel is stitched to each tag for hanging on a gift.
Notice the different sayings and cute ornaments in the set....
On this tag, I've used the mittens...
This one's just slightly different in how I decorate the little mittens and I added a darker holly and berries to the tag...
 Love Lives Here Gift set:
Stamps: Love Lives Here: Holiday
Ink: Pure Poppy, Lavender Moon, Spring Moss, Ripe Avocado, brown by Ranger, pink by Jenni Bowlin
Paper: white and kraft cardstock
Dies: Love Lives Here: Holiday
Other: wooden spools 1" x 3/4", clothespins from craft supply, Melissa Frances tinsel, Papertrey Ink twine (brown), Twinery twine (red), snowflakes are by Target (Holiday Table Scatter).
---------

Another card here, I wanted to try a little mitten wreath... this would work with the stockings too, or stars. Pretty much any Christmas icon! To make this wreath, start by stamping 4 mittens in the lightest color first, then 4 mittens with the medium ink color and lastly the darkest ink color on top with 3 mittens. Finish with a few hearts, a wreath in the center (from Tag-its #8) and the sentiment in black.


Deck the Halls card:
Stamps: Love Lives Here: Holiday, Tag-its #8 (frame inside wreath)
Ink: Lavender Moon, Pure Poppy, Raspberry Fizz - all by PTI, Chewing Gum by Jenni Bowlin, brown by Ranger
Paper: kraft and white cardstock
Dies: Love Lives Here: Holiday
Other: none.
--------

And one more simple card on kraft... 

The white border sticker is a Basic Grey sticker, button is the new Autumn Rose buttons by Papertrey Ink and I misted the seam binding ribbon myself to get the color you see here.
Sending You Christmas Joy & Cheer card:
 Stamps: Love Lives Here Holiday by PTI, Stylish Sentiments: Holiday by PTI
Ink: Fresh Snow, Dark Chocolate, True Black by PTI
Paper: Kraft cardstock by PTI
Dies: Love Lives Here Holiday by PTI
Other: sticker - Basic Grey, button - NEW Autumn Rose buttons by PTI, seam binding, white snowflake - Target "Holiday Table Scatter".

Phew! That is one LONG blog post! If I forgot anything, or if you have any questions, please let me know. Now please visit the other Papertrey Ink gals for more inspiration using these stamps and dies (which will be available on the 15th of September):

22 comments:

Sarah Martina said...

Love every little morsel of your projects, Danielle! :) The mitten wreath made me smile from ear to ear... sweetest thing ever!

Briana Johnson said...

I want that stamp set! Danielle, these are all sooooo very lovely! SO many great ideas here! That spool frame is so creative!

MA said...

Love the spool frame..I have tons of very old spools that are dark and worn looking & you could also stain them up a bit! What a great gift to display all year round! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Petrella said...

Beautiful projects! Loving the looks of the images and sentiments in this set!! So comfy and cozy!!!

Holly Saveur said...

So SWEET and super GORGEOUS..love your cards!!
A stampset I would love to have..goes in my cart the 15th for sure!

Maria Therese said...

Gorgeous ♥♥♥

Gabby said...

OMGosh! Love, love that wooden spool frame! I've had a bag full of vintage wooden spools sitting in my craft room for two years ... they just might not be sitting around much longer! :) And the tags ... and the mittens with lace and pearls ... and the mitten wreath card ... and the rustic, kraft stocking card ... I feel like a kid in a toy shop! And to think there are more projects to come ... oh, yah! :) TFS these projects, Danielle.

Anonymous said...

These are just gorgeous projects---every one of them! I'll be looking for wooden spools on my next shopping trip; love that frame! The cards and little banners are fabulous.

Diane Jaquay said...

Fabulous work, Danielle, LOVE the spool picture holder (thanks for the instructions), and all of your projects, sigh, LOVE THEM!!!

Debbie said...

These tags and that frame are AMAZING -- I adore the soft, sweet palette and how you combined old with new - WOW!!!!!!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Sweet looking tags and love your spool photo holder. What a wonderful stamp set this is. I also like your mitten wreath. Lots of great ideas here! TFS

Noreen said...

Fun garland with the snowflakes and stockings! And the bakers twine fits right in.

Jenna Ruth said...

Lovely projects!! I'm so loving the spool picture frame!! :)

Pastila said...

Gorgeous! Beautiful photos!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh Dani! I knew I wanted to buy this stamp set from Nichole's first peek on her blog last week, but seeing your projects has totally confirmed this purchase! I love the different colours you used and how you showed so many of the stamps from the set-- thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I will be buying these for sure! Your creations are just THE BEST. You have gotten me so excited and inspired for Holiday crafting. Thank you so for working so hard and sharing so much! I was wondering if you had thought about joining Mish and Melissa for their 12 days of Christmas that I hope (REALLY REALLY HOPE!) they will be doing again this year. It is my favorite event to anticipate and your styles compliment each other so well.

Kimberly said...

You are AMAZINGLY talented my friend. LOVE how you present each project you do too!
xx
Loves,
K

jan metcalf said...

Fun looks!

Helen L said...

So many great ideas and projects!!! I loved them all!!! thanks for the inspiration :-)

dstandard said...

Wow these are gorgeous Danielle! Hugs!

Wahkuna said...

Love the wooden spool frame, and the mitten card/tags! So unique & Beautiful!

Lynn said...

these are darling! I love the "mitten wreath" and that spool photo holder is the coolest!