Saturday, July 23, 2016

SAF 2016: Masterpiece Inspirations...

Welcome to the free online Stamp-A-Faire event by Papertrey Ink! Are you ready to get started with inspiration? Each person on the design team has chosen a Master artist for inspiration and have created a project based on that photo or idea. As a lover of watercolor paintings, I wanted to find a Master watercolor artist for inspiration. Born and raised in New York City in a cultured French family, John LaFarge became a leading figure in the arts in New York in the 1800's, known for his exquisite murals, stained glass designs, and innovations of technique. He also was a noted writer and lecturer on art. In London, he was much influenced by John Ruskin, who focused on the importance of art being morally and spiritually uplifting! To read that touched my heart, and I hope today's post uplifts your spirits as well and inspires you. HERE is the inspiration piece I found, a watercolor painting. Happy creating!

Inspired by the colors, the flowers, the pretty background and the watercolor effect, I started with the following ink colors by Papertrey Ink: Americana, Pale Peony, Green Parakeet, New Leaf, Ripe Avocado, Enchanted Evening and Aqua Mist. 

First, I cut a Brushed Blooms flower and brought out my coordinating Brushed Blooms stamp set. I stamped the large stem in Green Parakeet with a bit of New Leaf on the edges of the stamp. It looks spotty right now, but will be smoothed out when I add water with my paintbrush.
Next, I stamped the Ripe Avocado ink onto the stamping block and used water on my paintbrush to add a bit darker color on the edges of the stem. I used a touch of water to smooth out the lighter green on the stem. You only need a tiny bit of water for this technique!

Then I stamped some of the flowers in Pale Peony ink onto the Brushed Blooms die cut.

The larger flower was dipped in Pale Peony, then the bottom edge of the stamp was dipped in Americana ink to add a darker color of shading to the flower. I will use my water and paintbrush again to smooth it out. (All of the pieces were cut with watercolor paper.)
Then I used Enchanted Evening ink, stamped it onto the block, and with a bit of water, painted the card background with it, adding New Leaf to the bottom of the background also to resemble the background in my inspiration photo.
Here is the finished flower and sentiment, using Walk by Faith stamps, stamped after everything was dry. I added some flower centers with Americana ink after the flowers were dry as well.


And here is the finished product!

Sequins were added for sparkle and dimension...

Well, I am in love this artsy technique of using watercolor paper, water and my Papertrey Ink stamps to achieve a painted look, and hope you will give it a try! Visit the rest of the team to see what Master artist inspired them and how they interpreted their inspiration piece! 

5 comments:

Nora Noll said...

This is STUNNING Danielle! I LOVE your inspiration piece and the way you used the stamps for your interpretation. Great card!

SavedbyGrace said...

Just beautiful Danielle :) Your watercoloring is lovely :)

Lisaerica said...

Soooo gorgeous Danielle! I love the soft hues and this technique, so going to try this. Your cards are art, always beautiful and uplifting. Thanks for sharing and inspiring. Oh, I just saw your video on paper casting tonight, such an awesome technique. Every time I pull out my stamps or dies I'll be checking them out to see if I can use them for casting.

nancy said...

Love how you interpreted the painting, Danielle. The final card is bold, yet soft. I'll be keeping this mix of colors in mind for a future creation.

Leigh Penner said...

Gorgeous! I want to try this technique with this set.... It's so cool how you gave it a different look!