I've actually create a video for you watch my process as I create a few fun handmade embellishments using Papertrey Ink's stamps and dies. Go easy on me, as it is my very first video for Papertrey Ink. I've got room for improvement, I know! :)
1. Paperclay of some sort. I used the Delight Paperclay (from Papertrey Ink).
2. A spatula
3. A rolling pin
4. Wax paper/freezer paper and washi tape
5. Cutting machine, dies, inks and a variety of stamps.
Instructions to create Paperclay buttons:
1. Cover your work surface with wax paper or freezer paper. Tape down with washi tape to help it stay in place.
2. Tear off a piece of the paperclay and place onto your wax paper surface. Flatten with spatula. Roll it to a thin consistency with a rolling pin. You can leave it plain or stamp images into the clay when wet to create a debossed design to the buttons. Let the clay dry completely. You can put it in the microwave for 15 seconds, flatten it out again and let dry for 1/2 hour to speed up the drying process (or follow the directions on the package and let the clay dry 1-3 days).
3. Sandwich the DRY paperclay in between 2 pieces of wax paper. Place the button die on top of wax paper/clay stack (or the die of your choice). Run it through your cutting machine to cut out the button shapes from the clay.
4. Remove buttons. Poke out the button holes with a stylus. Stamp designs on top with stamping inks to finish the look! You can also mist the buttons, paint designs on them, add glitter, jewels, etc.
Try this technique with other shapes/dies too, not just buttons! You can create tags, frames, home decor items, etc. Enjoy the process! Visit Nichole's blog for more rolled dough ideas.