Saturday, August 24, 2013

2pm EST: "Sprinkle of Salt"

Hi Stamp-a-Faire attendees! We're back with another fun technique for you to try!

This time we are working with salt to create a mottled effect. You can use sea salt, but I just used regular salt from my kitchen and watercolor paper, water, ink refills and a paint brush.

I found that watercolor paper works much better for this technique, as is resists the water for a few minutes to allow you to have time to add the salt. Regular cardstock didn't work for me, because by the time I sprinkled the salt on, the paper had already soaked up the water. :) You want the water to sit on the paper long enough to add the salt.

I used this technique to create a mottled background for my card. Here's how to do the "Sprinkle of Salt" technique:

1. First, I cut my cardstock base and chose my ink colors for the background (reinkers that you refill your ink pad with.) I chose Lemon Tart, Sweet Blush, Aqua Mist and Summer Sunrise inks to create the salt mottled effect. 

2. On watercolor paper, I used a brush to get the paper very wet. 
3. Next, I dropped a few drops of each ink color in the order I wanted them. I used a paintbrush to brush them out a bit. 
4. While still wet, I spinkled salt over the top. I let it dry completely, then scraped the remaining salt off the card. (Here is what it looks like when wet.)

5. Last, the flowers were die cut with Bigger Blooms dies and used coordinating Bigger Blooms stamps for the blooms. A sentiment from Bigger Blooms on Aqua Mist cardstock finishes the look.

Visit Nichole's blog for more salt ideas. Give the "Sprinkle of Salt" challenge a try. Hope to see your finished projects!




Best. Day. Ever card:
STAMPS:
INK: Lemon Tart, Sweet Blush, Aqua Mist, Hawaiian Shores, Summer Sunrise, New Leaf, Raspberry Fizz inks
PAPER: white
DIES: Bigger Blooms
OTHER: pearls by Melissa Frances.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card!

Kara said...

so pretty, Danielle!

June K said...

Your colors and the salt came out really nice. Pretty card.

Bonnie T. said...

So gorgeous, Danielle! I love the spotted texture the salt brings to the already soft texture of the watercolor paper - so lovely!

cards by cara said...

What a stunning creation!!

Gamma Gena said...

LOVE IT!! and you make this so easy to follow, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card, Danielle!