Thursday, March 5, 2009

Having fun with cardstock...

Recently I was asked by Cut Cardstock to be a guest designer for them, and I had so much fun coming up with ideas and uses for cardstock!

I used 4 different colors of cardstock on this layout from the Basis and Pop Tones line by Cut Cardstock and did some different techniques to them including: stamping with Versamark ink, painting, tearing, stitching, cutting some for a border, covered chipboard snowflake and embossed it, and cut my title from it! I don't have a cutting machine, so I printed it out from the computer and traced it onto my cardstock.
The chipboard here is Basic Grey - Offbeat, brad is Making Memories, bingo card is Jenni Bowlin. Pics are of my daughter Taylor playing outside a couple of weeks ago.
I used the card with 4 flaps on it for this baby card (Brownbag A7 Petal Card) and covered two of the flaps with the Jelly Bean green Pop Tones cardstock. Before I adhered them down, I punched circles (large and small) from the lighter Gum Drop green cardstock and attached them randomly. Then I stitched an X on a few of the circles for a fun detail. After finishing those two flaps, I wrapped a ribbon around the card and adhered it to the bottom flap and tied it in a bow. I added some chipboard letters to the front and a rub on saying. This would be perfect with a gift card tucked inside!
Chipboard letters are Making Memories, journaling spot chipboard is Rhonna Farrer's Christmas chipboard, rub ons are Melissa Frances.
Try using your cardstock to create your own shaped cards! Here I used 4 cardstocks from the Pop Tones and Basis line, a lavender, light blue, light pink and white. I drew and cut out the shape for the ears and the head separately from white cardstock and embossed them with polka dots using my Cuttlebug. If you don't draw, try using a pattern from the Internet or a coloring book! Next, I added a bit of plaid paper for the inside of the ears and then covered it with a bit of clear glitter. I added stitches with embroidery floss for the eyes and mouth, cut a cardstock nose and added curly wire for the whiskers. The bottom piece is a stitch stamp that I stamped onto the blue cardstock and cut out. Lastly, I stamped "spring" onto the blue cardstock and cut it out, attached it to the ear and added a fun button. After the bunny was finished, I placed it onto a piece of folded lavender cardstock for the card base and cut around it. Make sure to leave a fold on the left side! (I had to rough him up on the edges to make him "fluffier".) lol
Plaid paper is Pink Paislee's Pop Fashion - Bermuda Shorts, stamps are Autumn Leaves, button is Making Memories.

This last card was made using a Pop Tones Invitation in Hot Fudge. It is a "gate fold" card which means the 2 flaps meet together in the middle and it comes this way. All I did was cover one side with the green polka dot patterned paper and the other with 1/2 of the blue polkadot paper. I added a small strip of red cardstock to the top of the blue for a little punch of color, then some letter stickers, chipboard pieces and rub ons for my sentiment. I punched holes in the top of the card to tie it closed with twine to make it "extra secret". SHHH!
Be sure to check out Cut Cardstock's blog HERE for a giveaway, there are always great ideas posted for cardstock. Have a great weekend, it's finally supposed to warm up to 51* here by Saturday. We still have about 2 feet of snow, so I can't wait for some of it to melt! =)

21 comments:

Nicole said...

Just saw all these beauties on the Cut Cardstock blog and love them!!

Ginger said...

Awesome as always!! Love the bunny card! too cute.

Kadee said...

That bunny is too cute!

Anonymous said...

That baby card is sooooo precious!!! And the bunny card....my mouth dropped to the ground :-) you are so creative ....and inspiring!!!

Tracey Taylor said...

Truly inspirational work. I can't pick a favourite.

Brandi said...

Love these projects! The page is my favorite!

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

WOW! These are just awesome Dani!

Shirley said...

More great projects and beautiful work Dani! Love it all!

Shelly K. Hein-Simmons said...

WOW~ you even make cardstock hot! I love the way your creative mind works! Keep the great ideas coming!!

Linda Beeson said...

Your creations are just amazing! My favorite will always be that adorable, sweet bunny!

Danielle said...

wonderful cards! my fav is the bunny...very creative :)

Laina said...

Dani you are such and inspiration! Love all of your work all of the time! You never cease to amaze me! Absolutely love the last few layouts you did (today post and the Pink Paislee ones) gorgeous! You are so very talented and I don't know where you find all the time. Your head much be continuely buzzing with ideas! :) Happy Friday!

Hilary Kanwischer said...

Oh now how gorgeous!!! That layout is simply stunning!!! You are amazing!. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

Meg Giroux said...

Danielle, I just love this bunny card...it is super duper cute! Thanks for the inspiration!
Beautiful work on this blog!

Leigh Penner said...

Love how creative you are with your cardstock creations, Dani!!

Anonymous said...

love all the projects you have made!

Terri said...

Simply gorgeous - as always! Your creations always knock my socks off!!

Christiane said...

LOVE your eyecandy-blog!! have a fab sunday!! :))

Sherry Wright said...

Congrats on the GD spot, well deserved! Your projects are awesome.. that bunny cards is amazing girl!!

Melonie said...

All amazing! Love the LO of Taylor. Looks like she was having lots of fun.

Leslie Ashe said...

I adore your snow layout!! ALL of your cards too!! your talent just amazes me!! :D