Saturday, April 14, 2012

Garden Variety continues.

Today we are back with another blog hop for Papertrey Ink. This time we're introducing two new stamp sets called Garden Variety II and Year of Flowers Titles. Our assignment was to find a photo online, in a garden center, or something in our homes that inspired us. I found this patterned paper by Crate Paper in my scrapbooking stash that really inspired me. I love, love the mix of colors, and the floral pattern is perfect inspiration for these stamps!
I sat down and made two cards with these sets inspired by this one piece of paper! The first one is a card made with Aqua Mist cardstock, stamped with the "roses" saying from Year of Flowers Titles, a sentiment from Garden Variety II, the rose stamp from Year of Flowers and the Turning a New Leaf die. I used a frame from the new Limitless Layers 3.5" Oval dies.

The second project is a gift card holder. I tucked a seed packet pocket into the Card Base-ics #2 die.
First I'll show you how I made these painted flowers.
I stamped the rose from the Year of Flowers stamp set in Fresh Snow ink onto a piece of vellum. Then I embossed it with white embossing powder. I took my plastic paint palette out and put one drop of ink from the Pure Poppy refill, Raspberry Fizz and Spring Moss reinkers into the palette. I started painting in the center with Pure Poppy, then painted the outer petals with Raspberry Fizz.
My paint palette still has a lot of paint on it from previous projects, but here you can see I only needed a tiny drop of ink from the bottle.
Now I used the Spring Moss reinker to paint in the leaves. You can add water if you want a lighter color, or just use it straight from the bottle for a deeper color. (Excuse the messy paint palette! I'm very bad about keeping it clean.)
When dry, I cut it out and placed it on my card. You can back the flower with white cardstock if you wish like I did here and popped it up with dimensional adhesive. White cardstock behind the vellum really makes the colors pop.


On the second project, I cut the gift card holder from the Seed Packet die with white cardstock. I used the new Seed Packet Frame 2 on the gray patterned paper and stamped the front with the Garden Variety 2 frame with Smokey Shadow ink. I added one of these painted flowers over the top.


I put a gift card inside. (A gift card to a garden center would be perfect!) Then I closed the top and tucked it into this larger die called Card Base-ics #2. The little seed packet is cute, but on the small side, so adding it to this more substantial base makes it a little larger.


What a fun (and pretty) way to give a gift card!
You can get these products on the 15th at www.papertreyink.com. Now stop over to see what the other team members made with these goodies:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Seeds That You Plant card:
STAMPS: Garden Variety II, Year of Flowers Titles, Year of Flowers
INK: Pure Poppy, Aqua Mist, Raspberry Fizz, Fresh Snow, Spring Moss, True Black
PAPER: Aqua Mist and white cardstock, Simply Chartreuse Pattern Pack
DIES: Limitless Layers 3.5 Oval, Turning a New Leaf
OTHER: vellum, Pink Paislee twine, white embossing powder.

For You Seed Packet Gift Card Holder:
STAMPS: Garden Variety II, Year of Flowers
INK: Smokey Shadow, Pure Poppy, Raspberry Fizz, Spring Moss, True Black, Fresh Snow
PAPER: Crate Paper (floral), white cardstock, Lilybee Designs (gray), Simply Chartreuse Pattern Pack
DIES: Seed Packet 2, Card Base-ics 2
OTHER: vellum, white embossing powder.

 


22 comments:

Ann said...

Just love the effect of embossed and painted vellum!

Jennifer K said...

Thank you so much for showing the step by step on how you painted the flowers. They are simply lovely and I never would have figured it out on my own or just from the words - the pictures and steps were just what I needed. Love the idea of using the seed packet die to hold a gift card on the Card Basics die. More stuff to add to my wish list... :)

Unknown said...

Ого! Огромное спасибо! Прекрасная идея!

Suzanne Russell said...

Love these gift card projects and especially the addition of the base-ics #2 die for a foundation. Your painted flower is just gorgeous. I guess I may need some of the reinkers afterall!

Heather Chabries said...

Danielle, haven't you heard? A dirty palette is a happy palette. I love seeing a palette piled with the remnants of projects past. Your projects today are beautiful, thanks for sharing. :-)

Leigh Penner said...

Fabulous projects, Danielle! Your paint palette has me itching to come over and peel off all of the paint for you, LOL!

Kristii said...

Your projects today are absolutely fabulous!! I love the painting technique!!! What a great idea!! Thanks for the inspiration Danielle!!

LEG Studios said...

Oh, so pretty! I love the look of your painted flowers on the vellum! Thanks for sharing!!

gRiSeL™ said...

That is stunningly GORGEOUS!!!! Wow, so classy and elegant!!!! LOVE it!!! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing the project how-to!!! :D

Marbel said...

Affords beautiful card! And the flowers are wonderful, thanks for the tutorial! A greeting.

Kris said...

Always a new idea from you I haven't tried before...I'll be making some of your painted flowers! Sweet card...

BarbaraB said...

Absolute beautiful. I just love the technique for the vellum rose.

Elisa said...

why do you make the most beautiful cards in the world??? you are amazing
:)

Lani said...

That's a lovely technique with the vellum. Thank you!

Anne said...

What a cute project! Great idea for the use of liquid ink :)

jintyoo7 said...

Beautiful - love the "ink" painting :)

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS!! STUNNING!! I'm speechless:)

Helen L said...

Beautiful projects!! Thanks for the tutorial on using the re-inkers for painting on the vellum: great idea!!

Pendra said...

Gorgeous... thanks for the lil tutorial on ink painting!!

Carole said...

Awesome work Danielle, thanks for the tips. By the way, how is your daughter doing? Eating ice cream yet ... *smile* that's what my kids loved when they had their surgery.

Danielle Flanders said...

She is doing awesome, Carole, thank u for asking! She is loving the Popsicles and hasn't complained at all. She's such a trooper!!

bjmartin said...

Hi Danielle - I love the painting on vellum. It is so soft and pretty! Thanks for showing us the technique.