Friday, April 27, 2012

A home decor project.

Finally, my internet is back up! It's been out all day today. It was actually a good thing to disconnect from the world and work on something else for a bit. My older daughter Taylor who is almost 13 wanted to change her room up a bit and have teal and dark purple in her room, so I made her a little pillow for her bed today to match her teal and purple comforter.
I used to quilt and had a bin of fabrics stashed away in my basement, so I dug through them today and found this pretty black and white check, that from a distance looks gray. I think the gray, yellow and lime green will make nice accents to the teal and purple! I started by sewing four white squares together in the front and adding the gray borders around the outside. (see top photo)
The second step was to add the white circle borders around the front. I needed something to dress up the plain white. I used the Simple Circles Border die by Papertrey Ink to cut these out! The border wasn't quite long enough to go all the way down each side, so I cut multiple borders and overlapped them, sewing as I went and just trimming them off when I got to the end of each side.

I finished decorating the front with some flowers made with Papertrey Ink felt and the Frilly Flowers die, along with the Turning a New Leaf die for the leaves. After cutting the flowers, I just stacked them up and put a quick hand-stitch through the center of each flower to hold them together! The felt is attached to the pillow with Elmer's Fabric Glue. It was so quick and simple.

After the top was finished, I made a back for the pillow and machine stitched them together. I inserted a plain white pillow (that can be taken in and out). I'll be honest, the flowers were the QUICK part, making the pillow cover took the longest! But...I saved probably $25 by not having to buy a cute decorative pillow like this for her room at a department store, and I had all of these supplies on hand!

Would you believe the yellow check is actually fabric that I made her nursery curtains with almost 13 years ago? It was very meaningful for me seeing it again, and putting it to good use!

I'm going to get a pretty body pillow for the back of the day bed, and I think we are going to paint the wall with her bed on it a gray color and hang some colorful lanterns or something fun to add pops of color with silver accents around the room. (Right now her walls are a light lavender and she wants to change that.)

What do you think? Is it "teen" enough so far? :)



22 comments:

Sanketi said...

I love a see a sewing project...very well made., am sure your daughter must be loving it!

The Scrappy Tree said...

This is so cute! Adorable project :)
Gayle x

Michelle said...

I love it! Very teen. My daughter (just just turned 14) has a purple room too and wants to incorporate the teal in it as well. I am sad that she wants to pack away all of her AG dolls. I am not ready to close that chapter. I miss those days already. They grow up too too fast.

June K said...

So pretty. I want that pillow. Works for a teen but works for me, too. :)

Holly Saveur said...

Gorgeous love the pillow!great colors too!

Nancy said...

Danielle you are sooo creative. You created a very cute trendy pillow!

Daniela Dobson said...

I love it! I was on a roll years ago, when we moved into the house and made 20 pillows. I got the basics down. This is totally on another level. So fun and bright.

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!

AllyW said...

Super cute! Love it!

Unknown said...

loooove it!

Elizabeth S. said...

Such a gorgeous pillow!!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, fabulous! Now I want to make a pillow for Sage's room!

Meredith MacRitchie said...

I saw your thread on the forum, so it's really cool to see how you're going ahead with the theme... this pillow is beautiful! I think it's young and fresh, but not juvenile at all, so yes, I think it's perfectly teen-y! :D

Marlou McAlees said...

Love this beautiful pillow Danielle :) absolutely gorgeous, TFS :) xxx

Carolyne Aarsen said...

These pillows are so cute! and yes, very teen. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity.

gardener said...

Hoping we see pictures of the final room makeover.

Marybeth said...

Gorgeous pillow, love the flowers and the bit of yellow gingham . Love that the gingham was in her room as a baby. Beautiful and much better that you add it. TFS .

Annabella Merlin said...

This pillow is lovely! I loved the colors used and the design enlightens anyone who glances at it!

Annabella MErlin
Creative Photo Albums

Stone Fireplaces said...

That is so gorgeous to see, it is really very simple and sweet, I know that your daughter loved it. But is that comfortable to sleep on it? I would prefer to keep on your couch, so it would be more beautiful.

Cathy Weber said...

That is one lucky girl you have there...this is beautiful and it is something she will treasure.

Kayleigh Lackey said...

The pillow looks good. You know i have redesigned a pillow cover it is made of silk.

wall decals said...

you are so creative