Monday, May 16, 2011

dress up your journaling...

Are you looking for a creative way to dress up the journaling on your scrapbook pages or highlight a sentiment on a card? Let's create journaling lines with chipboard and/or stickers! I've made 2 card samples to show you a fun technique...
On the first card, I grabbed some of my favorite little chipboard pieces from the Neighborhood line by Crate Paper, along with some of the line's stickers. I placed the chipboard very lightly on an Emma's Shoppe journaling card (also by Crate Paper) where I thought I might like them to be placed. You can also keep the paper on the back of the stickers, so they don't stick just yet.

Next, I lightly traced with a pencil where my chipboard lines where going to be (the tops of the chipboard). I made them a little bit darker here to show you better how I did it, but you would make them lighter, so they wouldn't show as well. Now, we're going to stitch over the lines.

With a sewing machine, I stitched back and forth. I used white thread on the top bobbin and yellow thread on the bottom bobbin. (Mostly because I was too lazy to change the yellow back to white from my last project!) I wanted to add just one more fun detail to the journaling lines with the stitches. I really love adding the "handmade" feel these days to my work, which I think the stitching really does add.

I trimmed the ends of the long threads a bit and placed the chipboard back on. With some sentiment stamps from my stash by Papertrey Ink, I stamped a word on each line. This is the Fruit Fusion: Berry stamp set from their May collection.
I finished the card by adding this piece to a card base made of Neighborhood paper and added a strip of Neighborhood ribbon to the inside edge.
And here is the second card I made. I used a heart sticker strip to "ground" my sentiment on this card as well and Papertrey Ink stamps for the sentiments called Birthday Basics. The tag tucked inside the top was hand cut from the Neighborhood - Garden paper.

I just love how all of the lines mix together so well, with an eclectic feel, and still so pretty together. I used a brad from the Portrait line on this card and an Emma's Shoppe date sticker...


Thank you for reading today. Hope you enjoyed this post! Visit the Crate Paper blog for more inspiration!
Danielle

4 comments:

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

So much fun and what a great idea on how to embellish! :) Love it!

Elisa said...

thanks for the tuto :)
love the idea, love your cards, always :)

Val said...

I'm new to your blog, but I have to tell you that I love all of your designs. Lovely!

Thought I'd pass on a little sewing machine hint. I'm lazy about changing the bobbin colors too. However, I started using clear thread in the bottom bobbin and it works perfect. (I think I got it at Walmart) No more changing bobbins with each color.

Hope that helps.
Valerie Johnson

Vio said...

that is so neat! I love the whole idea, you are so brilliant miss D. I love visiting your blog. Always :)