Friday, May 13, 2011

garden variety...

I'm back with another Papertrey Ink blog hop to feature a new stamp set by Melissa Phillips and Nicole Heady called GARDEN VARIETY! It will be available on the 15th. There are new dies with it as well, and I used the new Seed Packet Frame die and Seed Packet die (pocket) in my little mini album called "Planted in My Heart".
It's still a work in progress, as I need to add more photos to it, but I wanted to show you what I have so far! I wanted to make a mini album out of the seed packets and frames, but also wanted it to have a light and airy spring feel, so I chose to make my own little vellum pockets. I love how the light shines through the vellum, and how the vellum shows through the seed frames and let's you peek at what's inside! Here I layered the die cut frame over the vellum and then stamped a saying right onto the vellum, along with some little yellow flowers...

The second page isn't a pocket, just a flat page. I stamped onto the vellum with the little flowers, punched the edge with a border punch, then added a journaling card, photo and a tab that I made myself.  There is a new stamp set also this month called YEAR OF FLOWERS COLLECTION - and here on this page, I stamped the saying from that set.


On page three, I stamped some Year of Flowers roses on the front and chalked them in. The cute sayings and grass are from the Garden Variety set. Don't you LOVE that tiny house button? It's from the Neighborhood line by Crate Paper!
The little envelope here was cut with the Seed Packet die. I used the leftover piece that was punched out of the frame from the cover under the chipboard, just to add some pattern and color.
You can cut the Seed Packet Frames out of patterned paper like I did here...
Or you can stamp them directly onto the vellum like this page...and layer some of the Year of Flowers stamps over the top...
This little bundle is tied together with seam binding. I think it'd be cute with some larger photos in between the pages as well and some smaller ones tucked into the pockets, but alas....I ran out of time. I used lots of Crate Paper here - Emma's Shoppe, Neighborhood and the Portrait lines...journaling cards, buttons, stickers and chipboard. I mixed and matched all of those lines. Thanks for taking a peek!

Please visit the rest of the ladies to see what they've made with these two sets!
------------------------------
{Planted in My Heart mini album}
  • STAMPS: Garden Variety and Year of Flowers Collection
  • INK: Jenni Bowlin (yellow), StazOn (black) and Ranger Industries (brown)
  • PAPER: vellum, Crate Paper
  • DIES: Seed Packet die, Seed Packet Frame die
  • OTHER: pin by Maya Road, buttons/brads/stickers/chipboard/journaling cards by Crate Paper.

26 comments:

Gabby said...

I love this mini book! The die-cuts, stamping, colors ... great project! :)

angel said...

Piękny album!;)
It's great:)

Handmade Hannah said...

This is simply beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration I might NEED the new PTI releases now. :)

Helen L said...

Such a lovely little book!! So clever and sweet: it looks so fun to make!!

Unknown said...

AMAZING!!! What a precious little mini book and so very beautiful!

jan metcalf said...

What a great idea for a mini book! Who wouldn't want to know they had planted a smile in someone's heart!! Lovely!

Diane said...

All I can say is Wow~Wow~Wow!!! I LOVE mini albums and this one is beautiful...I want to come over and look thru it over and over...lol...really (I"ll bring Starbucks and cupcakes)...all kidding aside though, it is stunning!!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow! Breathtaking!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Beautiful! Love all the little details.

Rebecca Deeprose said...

What a wonderful project. Love it's charm and spring feel.

marianne-g said...

Adorable!!! I just love the vellum pockets. I'm saving this, for sure.

Debbie Olson said...

Danielle, this is one of the most lovely pieces I've ever seen--you ROCK, and so does this set!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Love those vellum pockets!

Artyjen said...

Wow! Gorgeous!
xoxo Sioux

Lisa Petrella said...

GORGEOUS mini album!! LOVE all of those beautiful layers and all of the texture! So pretty!

Renée said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! My mum was just diagnosed with cancer and I think this would be a great project to make for her with inspirational quotes and verses, personal notes, and photos. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Wendy ten Hove said...

So pretty! You've made such a precious and wonderful booklet here, love it, all the details and colors are amazing!
Hugs, Wendy

Jill said...

This is beyond gorgeous. Those roses -- oh, those roses! They're so very beautiful.

Kasia said...

breathtaking!

curlyqmosaics said...

This is gorgeous! I love the vellum pockets...the colors subtly shining through look so pretty!

Steph said...

This is so pretty, Danielle! I love the colours you have used and all the little creative touches. I think i will need to get the garden seed set and dies :)

Tammy said...

Stunning!

claudia shadler said...

i luv luv the pages Danielle! lovely and fun! luv the stitching too!

Hugs,
C :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a sweet mini Danielle! Love all the details and beautiful pics :) Can't wait to get these stamps! Thanks for the inspiration :)

IslandV said...

This is SOOO STINKING cute! I want to try my hand at something similar! Off to PTI! One question...did you sew on the vellum? and I know not all machines are alike...but what setting and speed...tension etc. did you have your machine on?

Where do you get your velum sheets from?

Thanks in Advance!

Danielle Flanders said...

Hi there,
To answer your questions about the vellum Garden Variety Mini Album, the vellum was just from the craft store. I am not sure who it was made by, I ran out and haven't been able to get back to the store to get more. But I'm pretty sure it's from AC Moore. I just folded it in half and punched a notch out of the tops of the pockets with a circle punch. I stitched up the sides with yellow thread and a zig zag stitch with my sewing machine. (just a regular setting and speed, nothing special!) I hope that helps! Thanks,
Danielle