Sunday, May 15, 2011

for mom...

Today we took my mother-in-law out for lunch to Olive Garden for Mother's Day, since we didn't go anywhere last weekend - my girls were both sick with fevers and stomach bugs. We decided to wait a week and see how everyone was feeling. It is pouring rain today, but that didn't stop us! :) I just wanted to show you the card I made for her to pop in with her gift. I went a little crazy with the butterflies and stitching!

She loves purple and blue, so I pulled out some older paper that I found with those colors and punched a bunch of Martha Stewart butterflies. I stitched them on, just because after adhering them they looked a little bare and boring to me. I also added a bit of paint with an old toothbrush, you just load up the brush, bend the bristles back with your thumb and let the paint fly.

I made a little tag with the Tiny Tags die and stamp set by Papertrey Ink, and stamped "mom" from the set as well. I know the big flutter of butterflies is not a new concept, but I love how it looks on a card and it was so easy! The other day, I learned a new word from my brilliant friend Jill (scrappy brilliant and just plain brilliant! check out her blog!)....she called me a scrappy lepidopterist. I wasn't sure if she was swearing at me, or giving me a compliment. LOL! I love butterflies, don't think I'll ever get sick of them. :) Have a sweet day,

13 comments:

Marlou McAlees said...

So beautiful love it :)

mollydianeh said...

What a beautiful job you did making that MDCard! Love the colors and the stitched down bodies of the butterflies! I'm gonna try that!
Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing your work.
p.s. I hope that card is sitting out on display somewhere! I'd probably keep it up all year!

jamie said...

i love your cards always so much.
(and now i know what lepidopterist means-i even stumped my latin studying son).
question: do our paper arts always have to involve a new concept?
anyway, love your work.
~j

Cynthia Lloréns said...

I just love your cards...they are great !!!
I relly love the colors that you use....You have such a big talent!!!
Have a wonderful week.
Hugs from Brazil
Cynthia

Nenika said...

Спасибо за идею!
Очень красиво!

BuyWoWAccounts said...

Awww, that's inspiring and very thoughtful of you. Surely your mother-in-law loved that card, with the butterflies and the colors you used it is so beautiful.

Buy WoW Accounts

Wendy ten Hove said...

This is really pretty, Danielle! Love the flight of the butterflies! That looks gorgeous this way! Wonderful card!
Hugs, Wendy

Anabelle O'Malley said...

Beautiful card! I'm sure she loved it. Hope everyone is feeling better. Love all of your PTI creations, too!!

bonnie said...

So pretty sweetie...love the sweet butterflies...adorable project :) Hugs x

Lisa Elton said...

Not crazy with the butterflies at all,it's adorable!

Anonymous said...

So pretty!! And love the colors!

Sue Ann said...

Where are those flowers from?? LORD they are so delicate ...... LOVE THEM. My mom loves butterflies too so I gave the MS punch a work out when I make something for my mom. Beautiful and I know she loved it!!!

Danielle Flanders said...

Sue Ann, those flowers are by Prima!
Thanks for your comment!
Danielle